We purchased our new home almost exactly a year ago. When we first moved in, we discovered we needed furniture. This new home was much bigger than any other one we had lived in previously. We love to go thrift shopping, whether it be clothing, household items or even furniture. Thankfully, our local Habitat ReStore happens to be the bomb. Not every ReStore I’ve been in has been worthy of frequenting, but this one is pretty great. One day we were out on a mission, we got very lucky and we found two chairs just like this one:
It sits great, very comfortable, perfect for small people such as myself, and it even swivels – which the kids love. The only bad thing about buying thrift furniture is that it isn’t always perfect. The two chairs had a few stains on them. Absolutely no wear and tear though. so we went for it. Walked out of the store with them for $80 for both.
I had ideally thought I would magically learn how to reupholster or find someone to reupholster these chairs for us for cheap. Pretty sure I was dreaming. Reupholstering is not cheap. Even looking at doing it myself was expensive. Each piece of fabric that I liked was way out of my price range.
One day I ran across an article on Pinterest that showed someone PAINTING a chair. A little taken aback, because I had never heard of this, I kept reading. They had used chalk paint and water with a regular old paint brush to basically “dye” or paint the fabric on the chair.
So I got busy. I went online and ordered what I thought was chalk paint and excitedly waited for the paint to arrive (You can grab that on Amazon here). Once I got it, I showed it to my husband and showed him the article I had read. Of course he looked at me like I was crazy. But then, he put an even bigger damper on my plans. I had bought “chalkboard paint” instead of “chalk” paint as the article had requested.
I had bought 2 pints – $10 a piece. So I said, hey I’m going to try it anyway. The worst that can happen is that I end up having to have the chairs reupholstered anyways as I had planned to do in the beginning.
Since he’s an awesome husband, we tackled it together. We poured half water/half chalkboard paint into a plastic container and put water into a plastic spray bottle. Spraying the chair with water then painting, spraying the chair with water then painting, so on and so forth.
It took A LOT of paint, even with watering it down. I ended up ordering three more pints of paint to be able to finish the first chair and the second chair.
I recommend painting outside! And when it’s a pretty day. We actually painted the second chair in our dining room on a huge piece of plastic because it was raining. When you get the time to tackle a project, you go for it, however you can, so that’s what we did.
I think they turned out great.
And you can still see imprint on the original fabric, which is a gorgeous print. All in all it cost us $130.00 for two chairs that now look like new.